Tag Archives: papier mache

Halloween 2010

This year’s Halloween was very trying and frustrating. After last week’s storm that damaged the fence and tombstones and having to repair them, then a hail and wind storm hit shortly before the ToTs were to start that broke one more tombstone and removed paint from the fence columns again, I was ready to throw in the towel and call it quits for the year. Luckily, the wind settled down enough to allow me to set the tombstones back up and put out most of the props. Gourdon Rotsworth made his debut appearance and the two ghosts were set up inside the house to greet the trick-or-treaters. It ended up being fun and I was relieved that it was finally done at the end of the night. 🙂 I have big plans for next year already. 🙂 Enjoy this years haunt pictures.

Creepy, Dancing, Paper Mache Ghosts

I wanted to add two new characters to our haunt this year. A male and female ghost dancing in the graveyard. Kind of a tribute to the dancing ghosts in the Disney Haunted Mansion, but that look more like the Hitch-hiking Ghosts. I sculpted the faces with paper mache clay over the course of several nights. The girl’s face went through several different versions until I felt like she “went” with the guy.

Halloween 2009

This year’s haunt was a real success. I focused a lot of my time and budget into the lighting and ambiance of the haunt this year. Black lights, fog and chiller, lightning, thunder, candles flickering all added to the creepy, haunted vibe. My “Scaretaker” was a real hit with the kids and adults alike. We had a steady stream of ToTs all evening and at one point there was a huge crowd of parents and kids standing in front of my house admiring all our hard work. I wish I had taken a picture of that, it was quite a sight to behold. 🙂 Here are some miscellaneous pictures from Halloween night.

Papier Mache Pumpkins – Part 2

I drew half of the face and then used the cut out pieces to make the other side symetrical. You can see all of the layers of paper in this picture. I used 1″ to 1 1/2″ wide pieces of cardboard secured with hot glue to accentuate the features that I had cut out.

This process takes a very, very long time. That is why I will not be having these pumpkins in my display this year. Stay tuned for more updates in the coming months.